Acadian Village of Nova Scotia
The Historic Acadian Village has a goal of providing the Acadian community with a better appreciation of its culture, traditions, language and past way of life from 1653 to the present. This goal will be achieved through the continuing restoration of old buildings and the use of artifacts typical to l’Acadie of the past in Nova Scotia.
For more information on the Argyle area visit www.tusket.com
The Planters Society of the Argyles
The word "Planter" is an Elizabethan term for colonist or settler. The term "New England Planters" refers to the pre-Loyalist settlers who left their New England homes to colonize the area now known as Nova Scotia between 1759 and 1774. This is the heritage that the Planters Society of the Argyles is striving to protect. "New England Planters were here and well established long before the few Loyalist that came later". For more information visit their site.
5. Historic photos of Argyle
6. Edward Goodwin and Matilda Nickerson
7. Argyle-Pubnico Baptist Church
Township Court House & Archives (ATCHA)
The Argyle Township Court House & Gaol, Canada's oldest standing courthouse, is located in the centre of the village of Tusket, Nova Scotia, nine miles from Yarmouth on Rte.3 (Lighthouse Rte.) or Exit 33 from the 103. The first court session was held in the completed building in October 1805. Built in the manner of most early courthouses in this part of Canada, the old jail cells are found on the ground floor,...............
Pubnico: Oldest village still Acadian
Pubnico comprises three different sections. There is West Pubnico, whose people are almost all French; Pubnico proper, better known as Pubnico Head, whose people are mostly English; and East Pubnico, where the barony began. Because West Pubnico has developed faster than the two other sections and because its population is more numerous, the name Pubnico is often reserved to exclusively designate West Pubnico.
Upon entering the village of West Pubnico, the visitor will see within a kilometre a monument that was erected in 1951 to the memory of Philippe Mius d'Entremont, the founder. Half-a-kilometre further down is the Musée Acadien. The museum was established in 1977 and houses artifacts from many sources. The museum is run by the local historical society, La Société Historique Acadienne de Pubnico-Ouest. Another half-a-kilometre further are the millstones which were used before the Expulsion of the Acadians by the ancestors of the Pubnico people to grind their wheat. Then the visitor will find the Catholic Church, with its high steeple, which was built between 1888 and 1891, the third erected in West Pubnico. Nearly three kilometres further is the road which leads to the old Cemetery, where the second church was built in 1840.
At the end of this road, the last house on the right hand side is the first one ever built with boards in Pubnico, dating back to 1799. It was erected for Benoni d'Entremont, one of three d'Entremont brothers who were the co-founders of West Pubnico, after the return of the Acadians.
When the British expelled the Acadians in 1755, the d'Entremont family was dispersed in France and Massachusetts but the remainder of the family was to come back from exile in 1766. With regard to the barony of Pobocoup, it was devastated and burned to the ground by the English in September of 1758.
Pubnico was settled for a second time by returning Acadians, including the Belliveau, d'Entremont, Amirault, Muis (now Muise) and Duon (now d'Eon) families in 1767.
Today, the surnames in Pubnico are more varied, but it is still the d'Entremont family that is the most numerous, followed by the Amirault and d'Eon families
GrassRoutes Computer Services
South Ohio, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
Email: [email protected]
All Rights Reserved