Comeau’s Hill was named after a family of Acadians who resettled at this place after their expulsion.
Jacques de Villers was from Belgium, was 19 when he arrived here. He had been also a soldier, probably in Napoleon’s army, just like Louis LeFevre. They arrived at about the same time and got married at Sainte-Anne-du-Ruisseau, both marrying daughters of Honoré LeBlanc. Jacques’ wife was Séraphie LeBlanc.
Louis LeFevre’s first child was born in January, 1820 & Jacques de Villers’ first child was born the following July. He had at least 12 children. Having settled first in Belleville, he moved to Comeau’s Hill, where the name still prevails. (S)
To these names we could add names of other people who arrived in Yarmouth County at about the same time, married Acadian girls, but were not French. John Fitzgerald seems to have come directly from Ireland to Wedgeport, where he married around 1823 Rose-Suzanne Robichaud, daughter of Pierre of the same place. The family is still well represented in the county, especially in the Comeau’s Hill region.
Francis Christiern a German arrived in Quinan between 1820 and 1824. He was married twice; first to Marie-Suzanne Doucet, daughter of Charles, of Quinan, and then to Marguerite Mius, daughter of Isaac, of Surette’s Island. The family went by the name of “Castin” or in the U.S., “Castine,” where there are still a few members of the family. We can mention also the Collin family, which came originally from Trois-Riviere, Québec, via Madawaska. We find the family mostly in Wedgeport, but also in Quinan, Meteghan, Church Point and even in the U.S. It has vanished from our midst.(S)
Society member and Secretary, Lorraine Newman has written an article for this issue on her grandfather, Jérémie d’Entremont, an important shipbuilder in the early years of this century in Yarmouth County. Society Director Daniel Jacquard, of Comeau’s Hill, offers an article on the former home of Judge McDermott at Comeau’s Hill. He was an interesting figure in that community during the 1930’s, and his renovation of one of the old homes in that place and his subsequent summer visits there provided employment and a touch of glamour to this community during the difficult years of the Depression.(S)
William Oren Newell was born 24 November, 1873, in Smithville (Comeau’s Hill), Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia. Died 3 June 1958. Buried in Colebrook Cemetery, Whitman, Plymouth County, Massachusetts.(S)
The granite stones for St. Peter’s Church in west Pubnico came from Comeau’s Hill.(S)
There is in Tusket Bay, more precisely on the shore of Comeau’s Hill, in what the old people used to call “la Baie des Chicanes” (Goose Bay) a region known formerly as “Le Cabaneau.” It is indeed an ideal place to hide treasures, being close to the entrance of the bay and to the reef called “Black Ledge” on marine charts, on top of a cliff extending into the ocean, from where one
can flee easily without being noticed.