Pinkney

The first settlement in the area of this community was made by Ephrim Cook, who came from Kingston, New York. He had come to these shores, as other Americans had done, to spend the fishing season, long before he settled permanently in 1762. He built his home on the eastern side of the Chebogue Harbor, not far from what is now Cook’s Beach. The point of land forming the west side of Little River Harbour was settled by John Pinkney in 1777 and it was he who gave the community its name.